Thursday, January 2, 2014

Review for Cassie Scot: Paranormal Detective by Christine Amsden


CASSIE SCOT: PARANORMAL DETECTIVE by Christine Amsden

Cassie Scot is the ungifted daughter of powerful sorcerers, born between worlds but belonging to neither. At 21, all she wants is to find a place for herself, but earning a living as a private investigator in the shadow of her family’s reputation isn’t easy. When she is pulled into a paranormal investigation, and tempted by a powerful and handsome sorcerer, she will have to decide where she truly belongs.

Amazon  *   B&N



My Thoughts: This was a quirky but fun book with a touch of mystery and magic. I was deterred at first with the book cover but the writing itself was pretty entertaining. This detective story was a great way to spend the nights before going to bed.

The story and world that Cassie lived was enjoyable. I was hooked into the plot since I found myself trying to solve who the bad guy was. I found it interesting how the paranormal played a part in the story. Not only were there witches and warlocks, but there were vampires as well. It made me question whether there were other mythical creatures that would be introduced in the second book. As much as I found myself being drawn into the book, I did find some flaws with the story. It had me scratching my head a few times since I was confused. However, they were minor compared to the main idea of the story.

The characters were entertaining. Cassie was a smart girl who was trying to prove herself to her family. She didn't have powers so she felt that she had to fend for herself. Her pride would get in her way though, and there were times that her character irritated me. Cassie was a believable character though. Next there was Evan. He was supposed to be the love interest without so much concentrating on the romance. Evan was mysterious and I liked how the author was able to pull his character off. I questioned a few times whether or not he was trustworthy. The ending with Evan threw me off. I even had mixed feelings about it. The other characters were great as well. Cassies' parents were not your normal set of parents, her siblings were very unique and relatable, and her friends were awkward. These characters helped the story move forward.

Though I was not amazed by this book, I did help enjoy my nights before sleep took over. The world and characters were fun as well as the story line. I am interested as to what will happen between Cassie and Evan. I rate it:






Author Bio:
Christine Amsden authorAward-winning author Christine Amsden has written stories since she was eight, always with a touch of the strange or unusual. She became a “serious” writer in 2003, after attending a boot camp with Orson Scott Card. She finished Touch of Fate shortly afterward, then penned The Immortality Virus, which won two awards. Expect many more titles by this up-and-coming author.

  *  Blog  *  Twitter  *  Facebook   *  Goodreads         

4 comments:

  1. With some books, all you get is an "enjoyable read." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I pretty much felt the same way. I liked it but wasn't wow'd.
    Hey I've got a contest going on, be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Vonnie!

    This is a very insightful, in-depth review. Thanks for your very honest opinions! I don't like that cover, either, and the book really sounds 'underwhelming'! Lol. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for an honest review.

    I really don't do much with magical creatures in this series, to be honest. Cassie's father says, "There is nothing so evil in this world as what men can do to one another." After the first book, where I used vampires mostly as a way to ease people into my world with something familiar, I focused on that theme. There is evil a lot closer to home than the fiery depths of.... well. :)

    Secrets and Lies (book 2) is out now. The rest will be out in the next few months.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete