Saturday, March 30, 2013

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Audiobook)

Read by Emily Bauer

Synopsis: It's been a year since a meteor collided with the moon, catastrophically altering the earth's climate. For Miranda Evans, life as she knew it no longer exists. Her friends and neighbors are dead, the landscape is frozen, and food is increasingly scarce.

The struggle to survive intensifies when Miranda's father and stepmother arrive with a baby and three strangers in tow. One of the newcomers is Alex Morales, and as Miranda's complicated feelings for him turn to love, his plans for his future thwart their relationship. Then a devastating tornado hits the town of Howell, and Miranda makes a decision that will change their lives forever.

My thoughts: I was not sure on how I felt about this book when I finished listening to it. I kept debating if I liked it or not. I was looking forward to listening to it since I did enjoyed the first two, especially the first one. After some thought and debating with myself, I figured that this was a decent story.

I did liked that there was hope in the book, but a lot of it seemed too good to be true. Though the characters seemed at first they were being compromised with the shortage of food and the sudden addition of five people, the characters were able to find a lot of food all of a sudden along with other supplies. All of this "good luck" changed though towards the end of the book, which felt forced to bring the drama back into the storyline.

Not everything was bad though. I did enjoy listening to the story. I was captivated into what was happening to the characters. I was not as emotionally invested in this book as I was with the first two but it make me smile and frown a few times throughout the book.

My thoughts on the performance: Emily Bauer again did a great job in representing Miranda. She was able to portray the emotions well and her performance made the storyline more interesting. I was not bored but entertained even though I was having conflicting thoughts about the plot. Bauer did a great job in bringing Pfeffer's book to life.

Overall, this was a decent book. I did find myself wanting to know what would happen next and wanted to see where the characters would end up. It was unreal though, which made me not appreciate the book as much. I rate this:

No comments:

Post a Comment